Special Edition: Visit to the Art Institute: March 23

Our visit to the art institute was a new experience for me, as I have never visited the museum in the evening before. It was really interesting, especially in the modern and contemporary art sections to see the ambience of the place change in the evening hours.

Beginning this year, I've been visiting the museum about twice a month, and this was my second tour with Professor Peck, but I still find something new and interesting every time I visit.

Talking about old, rich, dead white people.

In this particular visit, my favorite section was HonorĂ© Victorin Daumier's collection of satirical political busts, and this painting of "The Print Collector"

The pose here says so much. He's talking himself out of buying, and back into buying all at the same time.
The picture uses light to direct the eye to the prints, which are vague and hard to define, bringing the viewer back to the tentative, prospective buyer of art. His pose indicates that he's ready to walk away, but can't seem to do so, compelled to stay and browse a little longer, or perhaps to buy a piece he's been eyeing. This was my "masterpiece" of the evening.

There isn't a lot I dislike at the art institute, but I was NOT feeling this painting of two strange cherubs embracing. Didn't catch the name of the painting or the artist, but everything about this seems strange to me, from the sickly color scheme to the oddly similar babies getting overly affectionate. I do like the orange gas lamps on the sides of the frame, but other than that, this is my "disasterpiece."

Awkward Family Photos, middle ages edition.

Comments

Popular Posts